Q: What are the advantages of selling a bike through The Pro’s Closet?
A: Selling a bike can be a stressful and difficult transaction. We want to change that for you! Our strong reputation in the cycling community, combined with years of expertise, allows us to pay you top dollar for your bike quickly and easily, and provide you peace of mind. The care and time we put into each bike ensure we offer a superior pre-owned product to your bike’s next owner while making your transaction hassle-free.
Q: What are the options for selling my bike, frame, or wheelset?
A: Your quote can include one or more of these payment options to choose from:
- Store Credit: The best choice if you are looking to trade in your bike, frame, or wheelset in exchange for another bike or product from The Pro's Closet.
- Trade-UP: The best choice if you have your eye on a new bike at a local shop.
- Instant Cash Offer: The quickest way to turn your item into cash.
- Delayed Cash Offer: The highest cash amount for your item.
Please note: Your offer cannot be split across offer types, nor can it be changed once your item has been received.
Q: How and when is payment provided?
A: Once your bike or item arrives at our facility and our intake mechanics have inspected it and cleared it for damage, your payment will be sent to you in accordance with the agreed-upon timeline. Payment dates that fall on weekends or holidays will be paid out on the following business day.
- Store credit: Gift cards redeemable at The Pro's Closet are issued within two business days of item arrival and inspection. However, we understand you may want to buy and sell at the same time because we have limited quantities and sizes in stock. In this case, please purchase the bike you want right away. Once we receive and inspect your trade-in item, we will issue your gift card. Please contact our Ride Guides at 866-401-9636 or reply to your gift card email to have this gift card applied to a purchase made in the prior two weeks.
- Trade-UP: Vouchers redeemable at any of our Trade-UP partners are issued within three business days of item arrival and inspection. Search here for a Trade-UP partner near you.
- Cash offer: Cash offers are paid via PayPal. Paypal payments are sent directly to your account email. Instant Cash Payment will be issued within three business days of item arrival and inspection. If the seller selects a Delayed Cash Payment option, payment will be processed in accordance with the payment terms chosen by the seller, beginning once the item has successfully passed in-house inspection.
Please note: Trade-UP and store credit offers are not redeemable for cash value.
Q: Who Covers Shipping?
A: In short, TPC does! See more details below.
- Store Credit: Your offer price includes the use of our prepaid shipping label. Your bike is insured with our carrier, although any damages resulting from shipment will be reimbursed only if the bike was properly packaged and is at the sole discretion of our carrier. At this time we are unable to send a bike box or packing material. We strongly discourage the use of 3rd-party packing stations.
- Trade-UP: The retail partner you select will take care of boxing and shipment.
Cash Offer: Your offer price includes the use of our prepaid shipping label. Your bike is insured with our carrier, although any damages resulting from shipment will be reimbursed only if the bike was properly packaged and is at the sole discretion of our carrier. At this time we are unable to send a bike box or packing material. We strongly discourage the use of 3rd-party packing stations.
*Please note: We are unable to send a prepaid shipping label to customers in Alaska or Hawaii.
Don't want to go through the hassle of packaging and shipping your bike? Local drop-off is available in the Colorado Front Range. This offer does not apply to TradeUp customers, you must deliver your bike to your chosen TradeUp shop.
Q: How do I get my shipping label?
A: Once we verify your ID and serial number information, we'll email you a prepaid FedEx shipping label. This applies to the Continental US only; however, you can purchase your own label if you're in Alaska or Hawaii.
Q: Are upgrades taken into account in the offer?
A: We use experienced industry insiders to carefully inspect each bike submitted, component by component, allowing us to accurately assess a bike that may be worth more than a stock build. Rather than using an algorithm, this method ensures we can account for custom builds and expensive aftermarket upgrades.
Please submit your bike in the configuration you wish to sell it so we can give you the most accurate offer.
Q: How long is the offer valid?
A: Our offers stand for 7 days to ensure the most competitive quote.
Q: How long until I get an offer or denial on my submission?
A: If we are interested in your submission, we'll send an offer within two business days! If not, you'll still hear from TPC in that same window. Also, please check your spam/promotions folder since our emails are sometimes filtered in there.
Q: Is the offer on my bike negotiable?
A: No. Our team of expert buyers researches each submitted item individually and performs daily market analysis so we can initially put forward our best offer. We understand trying to get the most out of your submission, but we also must take into account our processing costs around shipping and tuning up each item. We then come out of the gate with our strongest offer. We strive to make the entire process of selling to us simple and stress-free.
Q: Why does TPC have different Cash Options?
A. Your offer may include multiple Cash Options so you have flexibility in choosing which offer works best for you. You can select the Instant Cash Option for the quickest payment timeline (issued within three business days of item arrival and inspection) or Delayed Cash to unlock the highest value (this payment will be processed in accordance with the payment terms chosen by the seller, beginning once the item has successfully passed in-house inspection).
Q: How do I decline an offer on my bike or wheelset?
A: Our offers automatically expire one week after being extended. If you chose to not move forward with selling us your item you can simply let it expire on its own.
However, you do always have the ability to re-submit your item if our offer expired before you could accept it. You just need to log in to your TPC account, navigate to the Submissions tab, find your expired item and click "Re-submit".
Q: Can I drop off my bike, frame, or wheelset, or do I have to ship it?
A: Yes, you can drop your submission off at our Louisville, Colorado facility. However, we offer this service by appointment only. Once your submission is in the "Pending" status you will receive an email to schedule an appointment.
Q: What does The Pro’s Closet look for during their inspection?
A: Our trained mechanics are looking for issues that would deem the bicycle unsellable such as structural flaws in the frame or wheels or damage that affects carbon. We also look for identifiable severe hard part wear that would require replacement; for example cassettes, chainrings, rotors, or suspension parts.
Q: Does the offer include small accessories such as pedals, cages, lights, etc?
A: The Pro's Closet will appraise your bike submission exactly as it is pictured. Before taking photos for your submission, ensure that you plan to sell all of the parts and accessories mounted to your bike. If you want to keep any of those items, remove them first. Our non-negotiable offer will be specifically tailored to everything pictured on the bike in your submission. We can not send back any items left on your bike or shipped with your gear once your submission has arrived.
Q: Why does The Pro’s Closet collect my ID information?
A: We are a committed industry leader and advocate for bicycle theft prevention. Every bicycle we inspect is verified by the owner’s ID and bicycle serial number. Your information will be kept confidential and secure.
Q: Can I sell gear aside from bikes?
A: Yes, we are also evaluating frames and wheels. However, we are not making offers on apparel, accessories, components, bike trainers, or stationary bikes at this time.
Q: I live outside of the continental United States. Does The Pro's Closet purchase bikes, frames, or wheelsets from Canadian or other international customers?
A: No, we are currently unable to purchase bikes or other items from customers outside of the continental United States. This includes Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. We are unable to send a prepaid shipping label to customers in Alaska or Hawaii.
Q: Do I need to do anything special to sell an e-bike?
A: Yes, but it’s simple! Depending on your e-bike, we may ask for additional information about your purchase or service history. Otherwise, the process is nearly the same.
For e-bike shipping, you’ll need to ensure the following:
- E-bikes must be powered off to ship
- E-bikes must be packaged with the battery installed on the bike or contained within the bike frame
- E-bikes must be shipped with a battery charge of less than 30%
- E-bikes must be packaged so that the battery is protected from damage and short-circuit risk
- E-bikes must be packaged in a way that will prevent them from inadvertently being turned on
- E-bikes must be shipped via a ground shipping method
- E-bikes can not ship via air due to current regulations
- E-bikes batteries must be fully functional; damaged batteries are not accepted and can not be shipped to TPC
- Damaged e-bike batteries can not be returned to or from TPC
- Standalone e-bike batteries can not be shipped to or from TPC
- It is the responsibility of the shipper to ensure that the e-bike is shipped safely and in compliance with federal law
- Never ship your e-bike where it is prohibited, including falsely stating that it is not an e-bike so that you can ship it via air service
Please note: We are only purchasing bikes that had an original MSRP of $2000 or above.
For further assistance, please contact the Ride Guides via email or at 866-401-9636.